Fruit Grower's Festival
Sunday, September 14, 2014
11 am to 3 pm
Sample the abundance of fruits that can be grown right here in a Zone 3 garden! Experts from the Fruit Growers Association will be on hand to answer all your questions about fruit-growing in Alberta, and guest speakers will discuss the challenges and pleasures of fruit growing on the prairies. Activities are free with regular admission.
- Fruit Sampling - taste a wide range of apples and other fruits that grow in prairie gardens.
- Ask a Grower - Members of the DBG Fruit Growers Association will be on hand to answer questions throughout the day.
- Fresh-pressed Apple Cider - Operation Fruit Rescue will have their cider press on hand, offering fresh cider samples for a nominal charge (while supplies last).
- Sample fruit wines from Barr Estate Winery (nominal charge for wine samples).
- Bake an apple by the Grebe Pond - Make and enjoy a yummy baked apple for $1.
- 1:00 pm - Dr. Ken Fry from Olds College will speak about some of the major pests affecting fruit crops in Alberta.
- 2:00 pm - Canning and Preserving Fruit: What to Do with the Bounty, with Amy Beaith of Operation Fruit Rescue (TBC)
Garden Season Pass holders and Friends of the Garden members get free admission to this event.
For more information call (780) 987-3054