Fruit Grower's Festival
Sunday, September 20, 2015
11 am to 3 pm
Sample the abundance of fruits that can be grown right here in a Zone 3 garden! Experts from the Fruit Growers Association will be on hand to answer all your questions about fruit-growing in Alberta, and guest speakers will discuss the challenges and pleasures of fruit growing on the prairies. In addition, local author Kathryn Merrett will be reading from her new book on the Edmonton's rich horticultural history "Why Grow Here".
- Fruit Sampling - taste a wide range of apples and other fruits that grow in prairie gardens.
- Ask a Grower - Members of the DBG Fruit Growers Association will be on hand to answer questions throughout the day
- Bake an apple by the Grebe Pond - Make and enjoy a yummy baked apple for $1.
- Informative presentations
- Operation Fruit Rescue Edmonton (OFRE) will be on hand making fresh-pressed cider
- Fruit wine sampling from Barr Estate Winery
Stressed Plants – Causes and Consequences - Dr. Ken Fry from Olds College
Pollinating Insects and Fruit Trees - Thean Pheh
Book reading & signing – “Why Grow Here” by local author Kathryn Merrett
Activities and presentation are free with regular admission (except nominal charge for baked apple and wine samples, as noted). Garden Season Pass holders and Friends of the Garden members get free admission to this event.
For more information call (780) 987-3054